Flaxseed is another wonder food to have in our food pantry. They are a rich source of micronutrients, fibre, offer plenty of benefits and can be added to meals in plenty of creative ways.
Here are a few reason why you should eat them:
- Rich in Omega-3 fatty acids (which may decrease the risk of breast, colon and prostate cancer);
- They contain many more lignans than other antioxidant rich foods. Lignans provide us with fiber and antioxidant benefits;
- Rich in fiber, both soluble and insoluble, which helps lower blood-sugar levels and aids in digestion;
- Low in cholesterol and sodium;
- Rich in docosahexaenoic and eicosapentanoic acids, which can aid with depression;
- ALA and lignans help reduce inflammation;
- Rich in vitamin B1, manganese, magnesium, selenium;
If you don’t know how to incorporate flaxseed into your meals, here are some ideas. You can eat it both whole, ground or in oil form, but it is best to consume it ground to make sure you digest it completely and you get its full nutritional value.
- Add ground flaxseed to your cereal or smoothies.
- Add flaxseed to salads.
- Sprinkle ground flaxseed on cooked vegetables.
- Add flaxseed oil to smoothies (ground flaxseed works as well).
- You can add ground flaxseed to your homemade cakes, muffins, cookies or bread recipes;
- Add ground flaxseed to yogurt and desserts;
- You can add it to any dishes that have a thick sauce or seasoning if you want it to go almost unnoticeable. Add one or two spoonfuls to pasta dishes.